Do you have an old door lying around? Don’t take it to the dump, it could be a great DIY project just waiting to happen! That’s right, even an old door can have a second life and be turned into an eye-catching design piece for your living room, or any other room in the house for that matter. This unique feature will be the centrepiece of your living room, and the envy of all your friends. You can turn it into a shelving space to store all your favourite ornaments, family portraits and curated collections, or even a beautiful area for hanging your favourite coats after a night on the town. Use your imagination – the sky is the limit. Here’s how you can transform an old door in seven simple steps!
You will need:
An old door
Paint & brushes
5 x 90-degree metal L brackets
A shelf kit – 3 x 300 x 300
Once you have the pieces above all you need to do is combine it with a sense of keen enthusiasm, a couple of creative ideas and channel your inner DYI-self…and voila! But, just in case you’re not inspired below are a few easy steps to create a corner shelving feature.
7 easy steps to DIY perfection:
1. Cut the door in half using the circular saw. Use the measuring tape to ensure that you cut accurately.
2. Sand the door down with sandpaper and paint the two panels, as well as the shelves with a colour of your choice.
3. Place the two door panels at a 90-degree angle and secure 5 x L brackets along the back. You will need two people to do this – one to hold the panels and one to screw the brackets in.
4. Now measure where you want to place your 3 x shelves.
5. Firstly, screw the brackets that come with the shelf kit in, then the shelves.
6. Secure the doorknob (if you’re using an old door with an existing doorknob, you can replace it with something more decorative). *Note: remove the doorknob on the side that will sit against the wall so that it’s flush with the wall.
7. Fix the shelf in the corner of your living room and add your final personal touches or paraphernalia.
Just like that, you will have a brand new striking feature in your living room that will add a splash of colour to your life. For more great DIY ideas visit the Builders website. The website offers loads of great DIY project ideas that are sure to keep you busy for hours.