Those who have eaten at much-loved steakhouse, The Hussar Grill will know that its pepper sauce is somewhat legendary. It’s so delicious we would eat it every night if we could! Of course, because of nonsense like budgetary constraints, eating at The Hussar Grill every night just isn’t feasible for most mortals so we’ve got the next best thing — the recipe for said legendary Hussar Grill pepper sauce!
Now you can enhance your at-home steak experience with this classic accompaniment. The Hussar Grill shares its creamy and rich Pepper Sauce recipe that is guaranteed to pep up a home-cooked steak. Enjoy The Hussar Grill Pepper Sauce on the side or serve it atop a choice cut of grilled meat, such as Sirloin, Fillet, Rump or Ribeye.
50 g Butter
10 ml Cracked black peppercorns (from above)
15 ml Treacle sugar (or dark brown sugar)
30 ml Brandy
65 ml Port or red wine
150 ml Stock (beef or vegetable)
160 ml Cream
A pinch of salt
1. Melt the butter, add the treacle sugar, allow to brown lightly.
2. Add the crushed pepper, then the brandy and flambé.
3. Remove from the heat until the flames have died down.
4. Add the port/red wine and reduce until almost evaporated away.
5. Add the stock and reduce by ¾.
6. Add the cream and reduce again until thickened.
7. Season with salt and set aside until the steak is cooked