There’s a long weekend coming up this week (as if you didn’t already know – heck we’ve been counting down the days!) and for those of you with little ones, the school holidays are just around the corner too (eep!) Luckily there’s always plenty to do in Sunny South Africa! If you’re in the Western Cape then long weekends are the perfect excuse to make your way to the Stellenbosch winelands. Its a great place to spend quality time with the family and a fabulous place for a spot of wine tasting with the friends so why not head through for the day or the whole weekend? Here’s our list of 22 things to do in the winelands this long weekend and over the Easter holidays!
Friday, 3 April 2015
1. Delvera Hi-Tec Easter Full Moon Hikes with Dirtopia – a must-try for thrill seekers and outdoor types! Click here for more information.
2. Seasonal seafood braai at Eight Restaurant at Spier – dig into delights like snoek, pickled fish and patats! Click here for more information.
3. Vintage Friday at Cuvée Restaurant, Simonsig Wine Estate – enjoy older vintage Simonsig wines paired with a dish especially selected and prepared by Chef Lucas Carstens – Click here for more information.
Saturday, 4 April 2015
4. Delvera Hi-Tec Easter Full Moon Hikes with Dirtopia – another fabulous opportunity to explore the outdoors. Click here for more information.
5. Burgers and Blends at Spier – blend your own wine from Spier’s award-winning Creative Block 3 blend whilst enjoying an Eight restaurant beef burger. Click here for more information.
6. Movie night at Spier – Spier teams up with Short and Sweet for a screening of “Project Wild Thing” on an inflatable movie screen on the Werf. Click here for more information.
7. Stellenbosch Easter Slow Market – head to the market for fresh hot cross buns, pickled fish, Easter egg hunts and organic roasted chickens for your Sunday lunch. Click here for more information.
8. Ken Forrester Easter Wine Hunt – find all three hidden Easter bunnies during your tasting and win a complimentary bottle of wine. Click here for more information.
Sunday, 5 April 2015
9. Root44 Market in Stellenbosch – head through for an Easter egg hunt, egg decorating and jumping castles. Click here for more information.
10. Treasure hunt and Easter egg decorating at Spier on the Werf from 11:00 to 15:00. Click here for more information.
11. Easter Family Lunch at the Harvest Table at Eight restaurant, Spier. Click here for more information.
12. Easter lunch at the Lanzerac Hotel & Spa – enjoy a decadent Easter display, giant dessert buffet and sweet station laden with Easter treats as well as a special Easter egg hunt for the little ones. Click here for information.
13. Easter Sunday Lunch at Dornier – tuck into a special menu created by Chef Daniel George. Click here for more information.
14. Sunday lunch at Hazendal – book your spot at the Easter Sunday buffet with an egg hunt for the kiddies. Click here for more information.
Monday, 6 April 2015
15. Easter Brunch Feast at Eight restaurant from 09:30 – 12:00, Spier. Click here for more information.
16. Kleine Zalze Lodge is offering a special throughout April that will get hearts racing. Stay at Kleine Zalze Lodge from R500 per person sharing per night and earn KZ Rands back that can be spent on a number of activities on the estate during your stay. Click here for more information.
17. Visit the DelVera Agri-village on the R44 for a farmyard experience – there’s a fabulous restaurant on site as well as plenty for the kids to do! Click here for more information.
18.Visit Middelvlei Wine Estate for a boerebraai, where kid-friendly non-alcoholic tastings are on offer. Click here for more information.
Other fun things to do:
19. Visit Vredenheim and meet the Big Cats of Africa. Click here for more information.
20. Visit Giraffe House Wildlife Awareness Centre for a look at some of South Africa’s wildlife and bird species. Click here for more information.
21. Visit Butterfly World – a world of tropical butterflies, small animals and reptiles. Click here for more information.
22. Have a picnic at Warwick Estate – the estate offers play parks, jungle gyms and slides, and caters for kids with a “junior” gourmet picnic. Click here for more information.
For more information on what to do in Stellenbosch visit www.stellenbosch.travel.