Just because the Festive Season is over doesn’t mean you can’t find a reason to continue to celebrate this summer. We still need to take advantage of the warm weather while we still can and the weekends are the perfect time to invite friends and family over for a summer lunch. If you’re still suffering from a food hangover from too many Christmas lunches then this deliciously light Cilantro and Lime Chicken Breast Salad from TV personality and well-known chef, Mynhardt Joubert is the ideal lunch-time choice. It’s quick and easy to prepare, cost effective and uses seasonal ingredients.
For extra flavour, Joubert suggests marinating the chicken a day in advance. You can also make this recipe your own by adding extra seasonal fruit. And, if you’re planning of enjoying a bottle of wine or two along with your lunch then consider pairing this salad with the KWV Classic Chenin Blanc. With its fresh upfront palate and enduring finish, this wine pairs really well with the fresh taste of the cilantro and the lime. Very reasonably priced at R46.95, the KWV Classic Chenin Blanc wine is available from liquor outlets nationwide.
Serves: 4 guests as a main or double up for a bigger gathering.
Prep Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes.
Ingredients for the chicken:
4 large flattened chicken breasts
large handful of chopped fresh coriander
Grated zest and juice of 5 limes
75 ml of olive oil
125 ml of orange juice
Ingredients for the salad:
200 g of asparagus
1 whole cucumber cut into spaghetti strips
1 small red cabbage sliced
300 g of fresh strawberries
3 limes cut in half
100 g of blueberries
100 g of pomegranates arils
1. Mix all the ingredients for the chicken together and pour over the flattened chicken breasts. Marinate for about 10 minutes or overnight for extra flavour.
2. Using a griddle pan or hot pan roast the chicken breasts for about 3 to 4 minutes to a side and till well cooked through. Leave to cool.
3. Heat up the left over marinating juices in a saucepan and bring to the boil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool. Pour over the resting breasts.
4. Blanch the asparagus by dropping them into boiling water for one minute and then into a bowl filled with iced water, remove from the water and drain well.
5. Toss the cucumber and red cabbage together.
6. Roast the limes and strawberries on the griddle pan until seared.
7. Arrange the cucumber and cabbage at the bottom of the plate with the asparagus, roasted strawberries and limes over.
8. Slice the chicken breasts into quarters and place over the salad. Drizzle the marinating liquid over the salad and garnish with the blueberries and pomegranates.
9. Season with salt and pepper and extra splashes of olive oil.